Re: Concerns about the bounties

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 13:10 +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a formal complaint about the bounties. I think that it's a bad
> idea for this kind of things to be channeled through the foundation.

I quite agree.

I'm all for bounties for promoting an organization and attracting
contributors.  I don't think these belong GNOME; they do not represent
the GNOME project.

1. I don't believe the owners of the projects involved were consulted.

2. I don't imagine anyone was working on AIM URL integration in
Epiphany, but that doesn't make it right exchange it for an app that
isn't a GNOME app.

3. Firefox is a Mozilla project, and that is were such such bounties
might belong.  GAIM is it's own project.  I use both these apps, but as
they are not a part of GNOME, I fail to see why I would go to
www.gnome.org to learn about the bounty.

I think the correct way to publish bounties is for the sponsor and
participating projects to agree on where it will be announced, and where
it will be hosted.  It is fine for gnome.org to provide links to these
bounties.  As many of the projects are hosted on GNOME's servers, some
bounties will be hosted on www.gnome.org in the projects section.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.