Re: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup

Hi Rui,

You keep stressing a few points that I think might not be correct.  So
I'm trying to establish some base grounds here to see where you stand.

Please tick the appropriate boxes.

a) The GPL does not forbid that the software be also licensed under
another license
[ ] yes [ ] no

b) A copyright owner is allowed to release code they own copyright on
under any given license
[ ] yes [ ] no

c) The GPL does not forbid copyright owners to release code under other
licenses as well, even proprietary
[ ] yes [ ] no

d) Every version of Evolution ever released under the GPL will always
remain GPL
[ ] yes [ ] no

d) Every version of Evolution that will be released in the future
containing code submitted by people who signed the assigment form will
also be released under a "free" license (whether Debian or OSI, we don't
seem to be clear on)
[ ] yes [ ] no

e) If I (R. M. S.) write some code for Evolution then Evolution hackers
are free to reject it under the letter and spirit of the GPL
[ ] yes [ ] no

f) I (R. M. S.) realize that every piece of code I contribute to GNOME
could be and will be used in proprietary applications
[ ] yes [ ] no

g) I (R. M. S.) to date have not written a single line of code to
contribute to evolution
[ ] yes [ ] no

h) I (R. M. S.) believe that Evolution would not have been written at
all if it weren't for a company paying hackers to work on it and also
finding a legal and GPL-compatible way of making money off of it
[ ] yes [ ] no

i) I (R. M. S.) feel that Evolution having been written is A Good Thing.
[ ] yes [ ] no

j) I (R. M. S.) realize that my participation ratio in this thread is
dangerously approaching 50%
[ ] yes [ ] no

Please tick the boxes with a short explanation so that I can understand
where you're coming from and why you're doing what you're currently
doing.

All you've said up to now in this thread to anyone you replied is "you
are wrong".  You have given no real explanation to why these people are
wrong.  You claim you have some deeper knowledge about the GPL's letter,
but also about its spirit, and even what it should have said in an ideal
world.

If you don't
Unless you have some points to contribute about specifically why what
Evolution is doing conflicts with the GPL (besides your personal
feelings), please lower your participation ratio in this thread.

Thomas

I love the way you love
but I hate the way
I'm supposed to love you back