Re: Licensing and copyright

Indeed it is not; part of this process will be investigating whether
this is useful or worthwhile.  If the FSF want the copyrights, we should
probably let them handle it; otherwise we'll need to decide if we want
assigning to GNOME foundation to be an option, and if so how that would
be handled.

I would imagine that the worst-case scenario about copyright assignment
would be as follows: the contributor of a crucial piece of code that is
later stolen and placed into proprietary software cannot be located, and
as such no copyright action can take place, and the GPL cannot be
enforced.  If we have a procedure in place, a contributor who knows that
he/she is going to become inactive in the GNOME community may want to
assign copyright to avoid this eventuality.