Ubuntu 4.10 Preview includes GNOME 2.8

Hi everyone,

Heaps of people have been asking what the new company I'm working for is
doing. Today, we released Ubuntu 4.10 (Preview), which includes the most
bodacious desktop in the world... GNOME 2.8! Hooray!

I will be following up to desktop-devel-list with some info about the
changes we made to our desktop. We were intending to ship GNOME as-is for
our first release, but ended up tweaking a number of things which may be of
interest to the project during 2.10.

Anyway, here's a snippet from our release announcement so you can leap in
and try it out. We're very proud to be shipping a kickarse GNOME Desktop in
Ubuntu. :-)

		    Announcing Ubuntu 4.10 Preview

Ubuntu is a new Linux distribution that brings together the breadth of
Debian with a focused selection of packages, regular releases (every
six months) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of
security and technical support for every release.

[ See http://www.ubuntulinux.org for more info, and links to all of our
online resources. The complete announcement mail is available in our mailing
list archives on http://lists.ubuntulinux.org/archives/ubuntu-announce/ ]

			Warty Warthog Features

* Simple and FAST Installation

  Ubuntu comes on a single CD, with thousands of extra packages
  available online. The install is optimised for speed and
  simplicity. Ubuntu has excellent support for laptops (both x86 based
  and Powerbook / iBook PPC based), and can also be setup in a
  minimalist server configuration.

* GNOME 2.8

  Ubuntu is the first distribution to ship Gnome 2.8, on the day of
  its release - be the first on your street to try it!

* Firefox 0.9

  We plan to include Firefox 1.0 for the gold release of Warty Warthog
  in October.

* First class productivity software

  Evolution 2.0 and OpenOffice.org 1.1.2

* XFree86 4.3 with improved hardware support

  Our XFree86 packages have been updated to support plenty of new
  hardware. We also have worked hard to detect as much hardware as
  possible, simplifying the X install considerably. We plan to ship
  X.org with our next release, due in April 2005.

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/