Re: gnome-logos package

On 12/17/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman sun com> wrote:
> > Hi Luis:
> >
> > IMO there may be yet another option, i.e. the 'Debian' route, where we
> > have one logo package (the default?) that's not trademarked (though IMO
> > the 'GNOME' name should remain trademarked), and one, downloadable from
> > gnome.org, which is trademarked and therefore (perhaps ironically) not
> > part of the "community" packages.
> >
> > Whether this is desirable probably depends on who you ask, but at least
> > it would have the opt in/opt out approach; users and distros could vote
> > with their, uh, well you know what I mean...
>
> I believe I suggested this in my paper, though I forgot about it this
> morning. I believe Debian is not substantially pleased with this
> approach ATM, though I forget why- any debianites care to
> elaborate/correct me?

Urgh, I knew I shouldn't have written these posts this weekend; my
brain is still too fuzzy to think straight. There are a couple other

* collective mark: basically, the mark indicates that you're a member
of a given group, instead of that the product comes from a given
manufacturer.

* certification mark: basically, the mark indicates that the good
meets certain specified standards (like using federico's proposed
gnome standards from last year) instead of it coming from a specified
manufacturer

Either of these could be used in parallel with another strategy.

Luis (probably more later tonight)