Re: GNOME Local user groups

El dc 26 de 07 del 2006 a les 07:36 +0200, en/na David Neary va
escriure:

> You mean like live.gnome.org/UserGroups?

Definitely, this is a very good start. I searched "local" by title (no
relevant results) and by text (too much results) and din't find this
page.

A first step into "certification" would be to agree a name for these
groups.  :)

Another step could be to agree on a checklist of required + desirable
points. Some of them are already there as recommendations.

- Active mailing list for coordination
- Website up to date
- Responsive IRC channel
- GNOME Foundation members in the group
- Agreed contact with the GNOME Foundation
- Local press contact
- Democratic and non-profit structure (legal existence desirable)

Perhaps a first question would be whether we need to have something like
an official list of GNOME groups and a checklist to know if your group
is official or not. I think some kind of certification is needed to
avoid conflicts like i.e. which is the "real" Russian GNOME website (or
are both as "real"?) or risks like some guys linked to a profit company
weaving the GNOME flag for selfish interests in a part of the planet
where it is difficult to us to check what's going on.

In the new www.gnome.org we want to map all the official GNOME subsites,
and the local groups are related to a big percentage of them:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeSubsites . This one reason to have
an official list with some kind of control from the GNOME Foundation.

And one more thing that perhaps could help in the coordination Fernando
was requesting.

Since organization of meetings, participation in events and fundraising
for such activities are a common and primary mission of the local
groups, I wonder if it would be useful to have a gnome-local or
gnome-events mailing list to exchange ideas and experiences. Now this is
supposed to go to marketing-list but, really, I think many people very
active in local activities can be not interested in many discussions
going on in marketing-list.