Re: A few questions for the candidates

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

I originally wanted to have some questions included in the list of
questions sent by the membership committee, but I feel like waiting for
Friday while the voting period is already opened is waiting a long time
and I'm not being patient here :-)

I apologize because some of those questions are most likely a bit easier
to answer for people who are already on the board...

1) I've read with interest the mails from the candidates announcing
  they're running, and most (if not all -- I didn't double-check)
  include some motivations with examples of what they'd be interested in working on.
  Why are those tasks/ideas things you cannot work on while not being on the board?

Some of my points can be worked on without the board yet I missing the overview in some areas and some others need official representatives from companies or organizations. Being on board will ease the planning and and organizing these meetings with set parties.

2) What are your non-usual (ie, not code, not translations, not
  documentation, etc.) contributions as a GNOME Foundation member?
  (organizing events, pushing people to do things, finding sponsors,
  etc. are all possible answers)

If being a mentor for GSoC counts then yes. Else I only did coding.
(Does allowing Vincent to beat me in Mario Kart to boost his ego count?)

3) What is your opinion on the co-location of Akademy and GUADEC in
  2011? And if you think it was not the best choice, will you still be
  able to help it happen?

I am actually for it since it motivates and pushes for cross-desktop development and communication.

4) How much free time per week do you think you will be able to allocate
  for the board? (I'm very well aware that this could be 0 for some
  weeks, and 100% of your time for other weeks; I'm just asking in
  general)

to be very honest i think 10 - 20 hours per week at maximum...

5) Are you okay giving up some of your current GNOME
  responsabilities/activities to join the board? (give up a maintainer
  hat, or hack less, or participate less in a specific team) Or do you
  think it won't be necessary and why?
  (I know it's a bit related to the previous question :-))

I don't think I will be giving away responsibilities or activities since most of the work I did or do is caught up by my team and maintained by them... So my role with them is more or less organizational than coding. I just chip in now and then with some prototypes and bugs for them to look at and take in if they like.
I plan to do the same thing if elected for board, by motivating community members to take actions and drive them into solving issues.

6) Will you be interested in being treasurer, president or secretary if
  elected? If yes, which role and why?

No not really, since I would rather observe people taking over these roles first and learn from their experience

7) What do you think of the current GNOME Foundation budget? Had you read it at least once before reading this mail?
  (it's okay if you didn't look at it before, btw)

I read it a week ago before deciding to run for candidacy (someone tipped me to do so)  and while I am very surprised by the income and outcome, there should be a security buffer of 20% at least... This is a point I think should be discussed by the board and community.

8) What do you think our next fundraising campaign should be about?
  (I'd love to not read 11 times the same answer, thanks :-))

Help your app:
 By donating money to your favorite app you get   your name mentioned in a new "Thank you" tab in the "About" dialog of an app.

9) Will you be at GUADEC this year? (there's a board meeting and an
  advisory board meeting there)

Yes

10) Make or break question: what's your favorite french expresision?

The french bits of the "Les Poissons" song from the "Little Mermaid"

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.