Re: Candidacy: Ryan Lortie

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 14:39 -0400, john palmieri wrote:
> I appreciate that we are talking about the technical board as an "open
> question" but I fear it could be used as a political tool to override
> the decision making process that already exists in the meritocracy.
> By giving a board this power you basically allow people who may not
> even be active in various projects to decide what is best for that
> project.

This is one of the things that has happened in OpenJDK.

Oracle unilaterally announced a new governing board mandating 3/5 of
whom had nothing to do with the project and/or were from companies not
contributing to the project. And then they started making technical
pronouncements about the future direction of Java 8 with no input from
anyone.

(fortunately this has no impact on anyone working on the IcedTea build
of GPL OpenJDK that we all use and where all the innovation is happening
anyway, but it's really pissing off community contributors who would
like their work to go upstream instead of living on the outside. Jeesh)

AfC
Sydney