[gedit-list] Can a plugin change the toolbar instead of a menu?

Hi all,

I have recently been asked to implement a plugin for gedit so that a
text entry field appears underneath, or as part of, the gedit toolbar
(ie. between the "New" and other icons, and the document tabs). Is this
possible using the currently exposed API? I've had a play with the
existing plugins and managed a work-around solution using the menus, but
the client would rather not have a separate window to work with.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
-jess