[gedit-list] Fortran syntax highlighting suddenly stopped

Hi folks, hope you can help me.

I have been using gedit for a long time quite happily to write Fortran 77 code. Normally, each time I save a new file or open an existing one with a `.f' extension, Fortran highlighting is activated automatically. However, today it suddenly and randomly stopped working when I saved an open .f file in gedit - the highlighting just switched off and I was left with an open file of plain text. Files with a .f extension are still recognised as mime-type `text/x-fortran', but gedit does not seem to recognise them as such. This applies to both old and newly created files. Strangely, highlighting still works fine for all other Fortran extensions such as .f90, .f95, and even if I use a capital `f' (ie, .F). Can anybody think of a reason why this has happened?

Thanks for any help.

Toby

--
________________________

Toby Reynolds
PhD student

Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modelling
University of St Andrews
The Observatory, Buchanan Gardens
ST ANDREWS, Fife KY16 9LZ, UK

Phone:  +44 (0)1334 46 1828
Fax:    +44 (0)1334 46 1800
E-mail: toby mcs st-and ac uk

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No SC013532