[gedit-list] Tab meaning

Dear List,

My colleagues unfortunately all use emacs, with settings such that their C++ indentation is two spaces, except when it is four indentations wide, when it becomes a tab.

In other words, a tab is 8 spaces wide, but the indentation is 2 spaces. I don't care about inserting tabs into the file, so I'm happy to set my indentation width to 2, but if I do this, then the existing code is incorrectly aligned.

Is there any way to get this functionality with gedit? If I have to write my own plugin I'm happy to do so, if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

- Peter