Re: [Gegl-developer] OpenCL platform

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 09:54:01AM +0100, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
Note that the OpenCL code in GEGL works but multi-core CPU code most
often will be faster (in particular in GIMP with lower OpenCL coverage
of operations than in the GEGL provided set), thus the opencl / GPU
acceleration is most often best left off. I however think OpenCL still
is a good fit for GPU accelerating GEGL and hope for future
improvements to both GEGL operations and OpenCL platforms.

I noticed that, too. And it made me wonder, because on the same hardware
Darktable seems to work much faster when OpenCL is enabled than when it
is disabled. Any clues what's so different?

I think that Darktable has a lot more OpenCL accelerated code paths,
which means that the pixel data doesn't have to go back and forth
between CPU and GPU memory so much.