Re: [Gimp-user] Converting Screen Shots

On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 01:55 +0200, crouching_ant wrote:
Hi list,
I'm a newbie and have the following problem: I have about 2500 screen
shots in png-format. I need to convert them all into b/w-pictures.

Use imagemagick's "mogrify" program on a cpoy of the images.

 How could this be done easily? Furthermore (but I guess that will be
the issue in another list), I will have to run all these screenshots
through an OCR-program.

The best OCR package still seems to be Abby FineReader, which is
commercial but about a gazillion times better than any of the Free/Libre
ones I've tried.

You tell it to Read Images, select the first image, shift-click on the
last image to select them all, and go for a short walk (barefoot, of
course).

Abby can handle colour PNG files just fine.

If you are using some other OCR program you'll need to tell us what it
is before we can suggest anything in more detail.

Note that text on screens often has resolution too low to get good
results with OCR. What is the text??

Liam