[Gimp-user] Gimp Plugins

If someone could point me in the right direction, I would be most
appreciative.  I have used Gimp since its early days, but never
learned how to install plugins.  I have looked at some sites that list
the "x" number of best plugins for Gimp, but I do not know how to go
about installing them.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Caruso

From previous posts

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/11905-installing-2-6-7-in-ubuntu

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/15347-adding-plugin-frustration

You were using linux and ubuntu then. Is that still the case?  Assuming (big
assumption) you have updated over the years and are now using Gimp 2.10

Generally, plugins either pre-compiled (binary) or python scripts, go in your
Gimp user profile. The hidden folder in your home partition/directory
~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins These plugins have to set as executable.

The sites that list 'x' best plugins are mostly for Windows users and links are
to Windows plugins. The python plugins should work (but not always), compiled
(Windows) binaries, no good in linux although there might be linux versions.

Where to get linux plugins? Depends on your linux distribution. Some binary
plugins are packaged (.deb or .rpm depending  on distro) many not.

Traditionally linux users compile their own. Is this what your question is
really about?  Not always straightforward.

Python plugins are widely available, depends on your interests. A search usually
finds some reference.

Give more information, Gimp version / Linux distro and if 32 or 64 bit / some of
those 'x' best plugins and you might get some leads.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)