[Gimp-user] Resizing an image in Gimp is very slow.

I often have an image size of up to 5000 x 4000 px and maybe 50 or more undo
history. There is often 10 - 15 layers, but I have then flattened the whole lot.
When I go to resize it (to 1800 x 1200 px) Gimp is VERY slow.  The progress bar
will move quickly to ,say, 2/3 of the way, then stop for sometimes up to 3 or 4
minutes. I have 10.4 Gimp. I have tried deleting the undo history, but with no
difference. If I have a saved XCF file, I have tried closing my image, then
reloading it. When Gimp is stalled, it uses high CPU but not disc.  Then the
resizing process is fast. Have you any idea why this happens & how to solve it?

--
CharlesJ-J (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)