[Glade-users] GtkBuilder and Libglade status

It's been a few months since I've worked on any GTK stuff and was
looking to finish a tutorial I have going on Glade3 with Python or C.
I've been getting more and more emails about the GtkBuilder conversion
not working. I noticed that Glade 3 now has the option to save in
GtkBuilder format, however, using that feature OR gtk-builder-convert
seems much more problematic than it was a few months ago when I was
working with it.

Ultimately, I'm looking for known issues and status with saving to
GtkBuilder from glade and gtk-builder-convert, work arounds, and the
like. I'm hoping to get up to speed enough to help the people that are
trying to get into RAD with Glade but are scared by these errors. I
thought it would be good to jump into GtkBuilderConvert to stay up to
date, but perhaps it's better to change my tutorial to use Libglade?

In either case, I would like to provide my readers with explanations as
much as I can and point them in the right direction to following the
status (related bug reports).

I'm using Glade 3.5.2, GTK+ 2.12.19, and Libglade 2.6.2 (using Python).

First, neither LibGlade nor GtkBuilder seem to like the <requires> tag
at the top of the file. I can't seem to find information on that. Is
that something that Libglade and GtkBuilder are going to support in the
future?

When saving as GtkBuilder, after deleting the requires tag, GtkMenuBar
widgets always seem to crash. Even when dropping a GtkMenuBar into a
GtkWindow without any other widgets, it crashes:

"GtkWarning: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkMenu to a container
of type GtkMenuItem, but the widget is already inside a container of
type GtkWindow, the GTK+ FAQ at http://www.gtk.org/faq/ explains how to
reparent a widget."

When taking that same file but saved as a Libglade file and running
through gtk-builder-convert you get:

"UnboundLocalError: local variable 'child' referenced before assignment"

Which you can get around by removing any "use_stock" property from
GtkImageMenuItem widget, but then you don't get the stock icons
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/214267/comments/3)

--
- Micah Carrick

  Developer - http://www.micahcarrick.com