Re: [glade--]About i18n problem using glademm

Snow Dragon wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am using glademm to write a program. I would like it to show chinese
> in the program. I enabled the Gettext support in the glade option.
> Firstly I didn't make the folder 'po' compiled successfully, but finally
> I was able to generate a .pot file. I did the translation and .gmo files

I have to admit, that you seem to be the first to use gettext with
glade-- and gtk2 :-(. (Once upon a time with gnome 1.0 it still worked)
I never needed it so far and the documentation on how to set up a
autoconf/make project with gettext did not yet make its way to me.

Can you tell me which steps were needed to get a working .po subdirectory?

Did you select the correct encoding for the .pot file? I assume that
other programs work with chinese letters and that the pango setup is not
the culprit .? You might want to try inserting English translations into
the .pot file to test whether the problem does occur with ASCII letters.

> were successfully generated and placed to the correct directory. It was
> ensured that the program itself has called the "gettext" to find the
> correct string. However, it was not able to show them correctly. All
> strings became "????". I have tried change the chinese phrase into
> english and the rephrased english can be correctly shown! I have tried
> printing strings to console rather then on the window. It also shows
> "????" in the console. I have no ideas why this happens and I have no
> ideas to make it works correctly. Can anyone help me in this issue?
> Thanks a lot everyone.

Perhaps I will find the time to look into gettext and plain gtk2 in the
next 7 days ...

   Christof