[glade--]How to automake?

Hi all,

I am Susumu from Japan and I just started coding gtkmm-2.0
programs on Redhat 9 some weeks ago.
My problem now is that I can't "automake and autoconf"
so I would like someone to help me.
This might be just an easy and silly question but
I am really in trouble.

For example, after I got sources from
http://gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/examples/book/treeview/tree/   and
http://gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/examples/Makefile.am_fragment  too,

I autoscaned, changed configure.scan to configure.in,
modified the "configure.in",aclocaled, autoheadered,
automade, autoconfed, configured and finally made as following.
(which I am supposed to do, right?)

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ autoscan
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ mv configure.scan configure.in
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ emacs configure.in&
   --- modified configure.in ---
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ aclocal
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ autoheader
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ automake -a -c
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ autoconf
nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for g++... g++
checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for GNU libc compatible malloc... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

It was successful so far.
But when I tried to "make"

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ make
make: *** .: this is directory.  stopped. // which was written in Japanese

In nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2 directory there are following files...

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ ls
AUTHORS               Makefile.in      config.h.in~    missing*
COPYING               NEWS             config.log      mkinstalldirs*
ChangeLog             README           config.status*  src/
INSTALL               aclocal.m4       configure*      stamp-h1
Makefile              autom4te.cache/  configure.in    tmp/
Makefile.am           autoscan.log     configure.in~
Makefile.am_fragment  config.h         depcomp*
Makefile.am~          config.h.in      install-sh*

And in nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2/src directory there are following files...
(all of which was taken from the site mentioned above and never modified
except "Makefile.am")

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ ls ./src/
Makefile     examplewindow.cc  main.cc
Makefile.am  Makefile.in   examplewindow.h

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2/src/Makefile.am is as following.

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2/src$ less Makefile.am
#include $(top_srcdir)/examples/Makefile.am_fragment

#Build the executable, but don't install it.
#noinst_PROGRAMS = example
#example_SOURCES = examplewindow.h examplewindow.cc main.cc

bin_PROGRAMS = exampletree
exampletree_SOURCES = examplewindow.cc examplewindow.h main.cc

My modified configure.in is as following.

nana:~/2003/gtkmm/chap8/tmp2$ less configure.in
#                                               -*- Autoconf -*-
# Process this file with autoconf to produce a configure script.

AC_PREREQ(2.57)
AC_INIT(FULL-PACKAGE-NAME, VERSION, BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE                                        #added
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([config.h.in])
AM_CONFIG_HEADER([config.h])                            # AC_ is changed to AM_

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_CC

# Checks for libraries.

# Checks for header files.
AC_HEADER_STDC
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([stdlib.h])

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_TYPE_SIZE_T

# Checks for library functions.
AC_FUNC_MALLOC

AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile
                 src/Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

(This is the end of configure.in)

What is wrong with that?
If you would like to help me but you cannot because of lack of
information, please let me know and I will send it back
as soon as possible.
I am not sure what infomation to write on this message because
I have never used automake and autoconf by myself.

--
from Susumu Yoshida(susumu yt com)