Re: GnomeFontSelector

Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> writes:
> I'm not sure that we can effectively go that route, without a lot of
> addon code, since we need full accessibility features for
> gnome-terminal.  Most likely AtkEditableText, AtkText, and possibly
> AtkTable.

I don't think it's any different from zvt. What you would do with
xterm in essence is make it a library, that you feed keyboard events
which it uses to maintain terminal state, and it can draw a region of
the terminal scroll area to an X drawable. You would then use that lib
to implement a GTK-based terminal widget.

But it doesn't work unless you get the xterm librarification patch
upstream into xterm, so we don't have to maintain the thing. ;-)

I wouldn't expect a terminal to work well exposed via
AtkText/AtkEditableText, though. Terminals aren't really editable. All
you can do is add input to the end of them...

> Without an accessible terminal we are pretty much doomed to be
> effectively "inaccessible".

This should be orthogonal to the i18n question, I hope. Most disabled
users on Linux today seem to use the console in combination with
Emacs, or that sort of thing, so I'd agree it's important.

> So what is happenning with libzvt2?  I know there is work going on on
> that library, and supposedly it was the vehicle for fully
> internationalized gnome-terminal support.

It is enough work to do that it couldn't even consider being done by
2.0, I would guess. The current gnome-terminal is internationalized,
it just doesn't use UTF-8. To support an interface like AtkText we can
convert to/from UTF-8. I think it's OK.

Hmm, important caveat: the i18n is broken out-of-box, but it works if
you apply a bunch of hacks in the Red Hat RPMs, which we've submitted
and no one has looked at yet.

Havoc