Re: Panel 2 rules!

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 09:48:50PM -0400, Alex Larsson wrote:
> > Coolio!
> >
> > BTW.  We need to all figure out a plan of action of what to hack on the
> > panel.  Mainly, I think it's who hacks what.  For a moment a dirty thought
> > entered my mind about needing policy for panel hacking.  Then I remembered
> > that I really hate policy, so of course there still is none.
>
> I will keep chipping away on it. Fixing small things. Tomorrow maybe i'll
> finish the desktop file parser in desktop-file-validator and put it in
> gnome-core (libgnome??), so that the panel can use it for loading desktop
> files. It does not convert all of the file to utf-8, so it will be a lot
> faster.

Hmmm, however we want to convert to utf-8 at any point where we want to edit
the entry in a dialog or whatnot.

> > Anyway, I feel like hacking on the menus at some point in the future.  Unless
> > someone else makes it all work first.
>
> Let's race!

Heh, well I have to do homework, AND I'm a lazy bastard, so you have a head
start :)

> > There has been talk of a new widget structure which I think is a good idea,
> > there was talk of bonobization and other random buzzword additions.
>
> No, no, no. Not time. Just make it work. We can rewrite parts of it later,
> when we've got 2.0 up.

Well, if someone does the work then why not.  I think people should "commit
early and commit often" to the panel as well.  This makes sure that other
people can finish/fix things if the original person is lazy/busy.

> > What's the point of this email?  Not sure, I think I wanted to start
> > discussion about what gets done to the panel and who does it.
>
> My plan is to grep for #ifdef FIXME, and convert them to gnome 2. Thereby
> slowly making the panel useful. I have absolutely no clue about the panel
> codebase, so this is the only way for me to do something.

Yeah, actually porting it is somewhat important :)

> But we need the panel running, soon.

It would seem nice, wouldn't it.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely