gnome-terminal

Hi,

On 10 Oct 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I don't see any real reason why adding accessibility hooks to the
> XTerm code is harder than adding them to gnome-terminal.  Yes, you
> might need some extra indirection to avoid having the core code depend
> on ATK, but I doubt the "accessible terminal" interface is that huge.

        I'm no expert on any of this but I think you could express many
objections to using the xterm code;

        - co-ordinating with the xterm people / synching release cycles.
        - getting patches committed to xterm
        - getting the XFree86 xterm library on every platform we support,
          or, getting a copy of the xterm source inside gnome-terminal
        - the neccessity to further abstract the accessibility code, so
          xterm doesn't depend on Atk.

        I think the alternative; of using libzvt HEAD and gnome-terminal
from gnome-core HEAD has the following advantages:

        - no need to coordinate with anyone
        - no patch approval really neccessary
        - ships on every platform with no effort
        - depends on Atk already.

        Regards,

                Michael.