Re: libfoo2 vs. libfoo

On 15Oct2001 03:26PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs noisehavoc org> writes:
> > Is there any way to do this without checking in a modified
> > po/Makefile.in.in? Some autogen.sh scripts run gettextize and will
> > overwrite this file. It also doesn't seem very robust against gettext
> > version changes.
>
> We shouldn't be running gettextize anyway. It creates the "intl"
> subdir, which is _entirely_ useless throughout all of GNOME, because
> GLib requires an actual gettext, you can't use the intl subdir.
> All configure.in should be using AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT which handles
> this correctly. Not to mention gettextize's busted-ass insistence on
> modifying po/ChangeLog.
>
> If we don't want to cut-and-paste the po/Makefile.in.in around, we
> should just have a "glib-gettexttize" that creates that file.

That sounds like a fine solution to me. Cut & paste is _bad_ if you
ever actually need to change something, we learned this with intltool
where almost every module had a different variant of the tools (with
different sets of bug fixes) until we figured out a nice way to
integrate it into the build system. Extra bonus points if glib grabs
Makefile.in.in from gettext and patches it at configure time, so that
a given glib version doesn't lock you in to a specific gettext
version.

 - Maciej