Re: [g-a-devel]Panel Accessibility Questions

> OK, so I figured out how to use the panel with speech, and now everyone's
> in trouble 'cause it made me come up with some suggestions... :)
>
> The main one is that none of the panel windows have accessible names, so
> when you tab around the items on the panel, you hear "nameless button" and
> "nameless panel".  Is this an issue that can be fixed in gnome-panel-2,
> I.E., does gnome-panel-2 know what the names could or should be, or does
> this have to be fixed in every applet?

What sort of name do you expect for the panel? If the name indicates what sort
of panel, e.g. Foobar or Floating, I think that calls to
atk_set_accessible_name() could be added when the panel is created.

You seem to be using the word applet to describe things on the panel which are
not actually applets. The objects which describe themselves as "nameless button"
are probably either menu icons or launcher icons. These are buttons which
contain an icon rather than text and activating them opens a menu or starts an
application. Can you get the accessible description or tooltip associated with
them and if so, is that text adequate as a description?

> Also, I notice that many applets simply have a button to pop open a dialog
> or the like, which seems fine enough.  But it seems there are some applets
> which have multiple focusable controls in them which are all in the tab
> order.  Wouldn't it make sense that when a user tabs around the panel, each
> thing in the panel is represented by only one item in the focus chain.  To
> activate that item, the user would press enter or space, just as is
> currently the case with applets which are represented by a button?

I will defer to Calum on this. I have tried to imploement what was in the Gnome
Panel Keyboard Navigation proposal at
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/keynav/panelnav.html

Padraig