[g-a-devel]Re: Localized Role names

padraig o'briain wrote:

Bill,

I have appended a patch to bug #128343 to fix build issues with JABG after recent API additions to AT-SPI.

I have a concern about the localized name for the role. I assume that this localized name should be the same for GTK and Java applications. It seems to me that the best way to achieve this is for AT-SPI to get same "English" name for the role from Java or GTK and do the translation in AT-SPI instead of in ATK and Java.

This would be contrary to the current API - particularly since Java 'always' localizes role names. I also don't see how this can work with the (proposed) mechanism for registering new role names (with both a non-localized and localized string). I think we need atk_role_register_localized (gchar *name, gchar *localized_name);

I do not believe that it is critical for the translations (e.g. localized role names) in Java and ATK to be identical (though of course one would prefer that they be the same).

- Bill

Padraig