Gnome Performance with Accessibility On

Hello,

I'm using the garnome-0.27.1 release of Gnome, with Gnopernicus from CVS.
I've noted the following three performance issues. I don't think they are
due to Gnopernicus, but I can't test Gnome with accessibility turned off.

1. Sometimes, within a few seconds of typing startx, my machine appears to
freeze completely. Not even control-alt-del will get it to reboot. I've
had to press the reset button. This happens long before Gnopernicus could
load, so it must be due to something else.

2. If I start Gnome successfully, use it for a bit, and then switch to a
text console to do other things, it periodically interferes whith the text
console by slowing down the machine. It appears that some process is using
a lot of CPU time. Are there Gnome processes that I can stop after Gnome
starts? How do I do so?

3. In many situations there is a very perceptible lag between pressing a
key and the response. This is especially noticeable in menus and on the
desktop. It is not noticeable when arrowing through a folder. But in gedit
the delay between pressing a key and its appearance on the screen is quite
perceptible. My machine is a 400MhZ Athlon with 320MB of memory. I wonder
if just setting the accessibility key to true slows down the machine.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.