Re: New user

Hi, Andrew:

Long time no type, as I've been off the bcab list for awhile now.

My summation for you is that you will get solid, robust accessibility on
the Linux console, and reliable, but still rudimentary access via Gnome.
Some of us are now using a few functions under Gnome regularly. I think
all of us are also console users.

No problem. This is Linux, and you can well afford to have both. Indeed,
it's arguable you should be conversant with both console and gui.

As to which distribution of Linux to adopt, my advice has long been to
choose that for which you can best get assistance. The rest is personal
preference. There are users here of multiple flavors of Linux, including
Fedora, Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo primarily.

As you may recall, I maintain an installation HOWTO which can be found
at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/fedora/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

I think you'll find this HOWTO helpful, whichever distribution you
ultimately select.

PS: My personal advice would be Fedora, which I'm sure comes as no
surprise. I have two reasons--you'll get a very full suite of software
even before you know to go looking for it, and you'll get up to date
drivers for all kinds of supported hardware--which is not to say that
all hardware is supported on Linux, because that's not the case.
However, the others are also sound distributions with their own strong
points.