Ang. GNOME Accessibility on by default, and Firefox

Hi all,
This is an important discussion. Thanks Tom and Ian for confirming the user need for allowing smooth moving into, and out of, AT support!
And you all seem to refer only to use cases concerning adult, relatively advanced and independant user scenarios.
Widen that to school and home use for children, and for adult users with multiple impairments, causing more dependency on assistance, and it should be obvious that this is an real issue. Accessibility must be combined with usability, and this aspect must not lag behind in Unix/Linux compared to what's expected and normal in Windows and Mac environments.
There seem to be some promising techy suggestion on how to handle this, but also quite a challenge in terms of work and dependencies :-/
Mats Lundälv

"Ian Pascoe" <ianpascoe btinternet com>
Sänt av: gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org

2008-10-26 13:21
Sänd svar till
ianpascoe btinternet com

Till
<gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Kopia
Ärende
GNOME Accessibility on by default, and Firefox

Hi

We seem so far to be inter mingleing both Gnome and Windows into this
discussion.  Could people please state which OS their comments apply to in
the first instance?

If I understand what Will has said, the current situation is very much akin
to a chicken and egg one - we want AT to be dynamic, and only load when
required, but for it to load when required it currently needs to be already
loaded and running.

I certainly agree with Tom's use case scenarios.  When I'm using the PC and
another family member wishes to use it, they get annoyed by the AT being
active so disable it - I am unaware of how this impeeds on their experience.