Re: Now that I've built gnome-boxes with jhbuild...

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 12:03:13PM -0200, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> Ok, so after a bit of thinkering I've got a successful build of
> gnome boxes. Some things that are worth mentioning:

> 2) I know virt-manager does ask me for the admin password, so I
> would assume you will need some sort of root-like access for gnome
> boxes as well. In any case, I'm figuring out how the jhbuild libvirt
> version would coexist with my system wide one, even considering
> there's the libvirt daemon to care about.

The reason virt-manager asks for admin password is that it is using
the privileged 'qemu:///system' instance. Since gnome-boxes is
intended as a per-user desktop session application, it naturally
uses 'qemu:///session' instead, which is a private per-user instance
of libvirt & thus not requiring any password.

WRT to having jhbuild co-exist with system libvirt build, the key
is to make sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH points the newly build libvirt
client library. In addition, normally qemu:///session will autospawn
the libvirtd daemon - if you ever run the RPM installed 'virsh'
instead of the jhbuild one, you'll end up with the wrong libvirtd
binary auto-spawned.

Regards,
Daniel