Re: [gnome-cy] Omnivore: proposed download version?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:12:39PM +0000, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> There is also the point that in theory the download could be used by groups or
> individuals or companies to form the basis of a component in a commercial
> product.  I personally think this would do Welsh nothing but good, but some
> contributors may have problems with that in terms of their day-jobs.  Any
> views?

I don't have a day job. Or a job, for that matter. :)

> The other issue is what happens if the resulting component is closed-source.
> Again, I personally have few problems with this, but others might.

Hmmm. I haven't really given this much thought, but I think I would
rather my work wasn't used in non-free software. On the other hand, any
non-free software that does use our work probably won't be able to use
out translations directly - they'll be making translations using
Omnivore as a reference for terms, and everybody using the same terms
can only be a good thing.

> No doubt the best thing to do is to decide on a license, and I would tend to
> plump for the GPL or GPL Documentation license.  However, views from others
> would be welcome.

Yes, something like that would be good.

Something to bear in mind, perhaps: the Omnivore data is not internally
consistent. It contains the work of many people, and some terms in it
have been translated differently by different people. It might be worth
trying to iron out the most obvious inconsistencies before making it
publically available, or else making it very clear to those who use
it what its limitations are.

It would be nice if we could standardise some translations, based on the
list that Telsa mentinoed earlier (sorry to single you out Telsa, but
you did seem most prominently active with that) and incorporating terms
that the K/100 effort has been dicussing. I do have a list of some of
the terms I have found to be translated inconsistently, or which I have
had trouble translating, or which there have been some contention over,
or which are noteworthy for some other reason.

--
Dafydd