Re: [gnome-cy] Windows in Welsh, but not at public expense

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 10:42 am, you wrote:
<large snip>

The provisional timetable as I see it is for a blank (ie no new additions) to
be done in Feb, just so that we can be sure the process as we do it will
result in a bootable CD, and then progressive additions in March/April/May,
adding programs one by one, and testing each time.  Parallel with that,
tutorials/howtos need to be written for each program, and corrected.  (These
might also be repurposed into a print book-and-CD pack - I'm looking into the
costs of that, but an on-demand publisher will only need around 6 weeks.)
Then, around end-June, we have a freeze; then or before then we need to start
looking for funding (and I continue to believe we have the best chance of
getting that if we are constituted as some sort of (at least informal) group
- perhaps we could call it something like Brodor).  This should leave most of
July to copy disks (on our own PCs if necessary), so that we get a couple of
hundred for the Eisteddfod.  But the March-May testing and docs are the most
important thing we need to focus on.

That's one reason why I still favour Knoppix - it's been out 2 years and is
stable, most of the bugs are documented, and it's got a good community.  But
I'm willing to be dissuaded.  PCL, Mepis, Slax and even Lindows also come to
mind.  One problem is whether the desktop will be changeable in the final CD
- I'm not sure how many of these liveCDs allow for that, since most of them
seem to use KDE by default.  The options are then (i) do two separate CDs (a
la Knoppix/Gnoppix), which would be a bit of a pain, and confusing to users,
or (ii) allow desktop switching, with a heck of a lot of testing to ensure it
works (this may not be a trivial task).

I am very interested in the USB stick idea, and that might be another deciding
factor in choosing a model.  However, there are also problems with it.  Older
PCs will not have USB ports, and some USB sticks are problematic to mount on
Linux.  But the USP on this would be quite compelling, as you say, along the
lines of "let your pupils use their data anywhere, without retooling your IT
Dept, and at minimal cost."

Going back to David's point, the cynic in me wonders whether upgrading will
come into Welsh Windows somewhere, - perhaps along the lines of "all you need
to do is upgrade your systems to Office 2003, and you can immediately take
advantage of the new Welsh-language interface".  But hopefully BIG has
specified that earlier editions of Office need to be supported too ...

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg