Re: Can't make bonobo work

> Hi all!
>
> I've installed gnome-db V0.1.0 (along with OAF 0.5.1, bonobo 0.18) and
> can't have the gnome-db bonobo controls work. All I get is a message
> from
> OAF saying:
> ** WARNING **: Could not load
> OAFIID:control:gda-postgres-users-list:b04e9dc2-1cc8-4027-8cf9-27dcb6a2a63f
>
> and errors because of inexistant properties (which is normal
> considering
> that there is then no bonobo control).
>
> The OAFIID is mentionned correctly in the gda-postgres.oafinfo and
> the connection to the postgres provider works OK.

yes, we've got a problem I forgot to tell you when I made the separation
between gnome-db and libgda, which is that the providers' Bonobo
controls were not copied from the old module. This was because I was not
sure if they should go in libgda (and built only if bonobo was found,
and made in a separated package), or in gnome-db, which will mean having
gnome-db "depend" on all the DBMS supported in libgda.

So I forgot to say it, and since then, I have forgotten about it. The
code is still in cvs, under the gnome-db-old module.

But recently I had an idea, which is to use the current schema
constraints to do DDL stuff, that is, as we can right now get a list of
users, tables, fields in a table, etc, we can have a function
(gda_connection_modify_schema) which will get a variable number of
schema constraints as parameters, and depending on them,
create/remove/modify a user, a table, etc.

The latter will mean dropping the current bonobo controls per provider,
but it will give us less work to do, since all this could be coded in
the DB browser, or even, we can create a generic bonobo control which
lets you do the same but for all providers.

I think this is more flexible, and very useful not only in the Bonobo
controls, but as part of the API.

What do you think?