Re: [gnome-db] New project

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 19:16, C.J. Collier wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm working on an infrastructure for building 3d modeling tools.  I want
> to use gnome-db to manage the applications' data.

good!

> I'm also cleaning up the documentation as I go, so expect a couple of
> SGML patches in the near future.

perfect!

>   What do you guys use to generate your
> SGML documentation?  Right now, I'm using xemacs ;)

we use gtk-doc, which is the standard for API documentation in GNOME. We
have a main sgml file and comments on the source code for each function.
gtk-doc then creates docbook files from the comments.

> I want to allow drag and drop events between my applications, but
> instead of dragging and dropping entire data structures, I just want to
> dnd database information.  So I'd like to drag a model from one tool to
> another and have the applications pull the information from the
> database.

I don't understand what you mean. Do you want to pass the full model or
just a reference to the data to be read?

> I'd like to do this to minimize duplication of data.  So, of course,
> updates to the database must be propogated to any applications that are
> viewing the table.  Is there a way to emit signals to applications that
> are using the gnome-db tools on update/insert?

there is a way in the API, although it's unimplemented in the providers
so far. This is the gda_client_notify_event function, to be called by
providers for all events we want to signal from the DB to the clients.

For this, we just need to extend the GdaClientEvent enum to include all
the events we want, and have the providers listen for changes and signal
clients about them. For instance, in Postgres we have the NOTIFY command
IIRC. Other providers should use whatever mechanism they have available.

The only problem with this is what to do with providers that can't get
those notifications. Having apps relying on them but using providers
that don't support them might be a very bad thing.

cheers