Re: [gnome-db] understanding data sources

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> you can call the gda_connection_supports function with
> GDA_CONNECTION_FEATURE_SQL. Thus you know if you can send SQL to
> that provider or not.

Great, that way I will know what options to present to the user and which
ones not to.

> as I told you in my previous mail, there is no need for the config file.
> You just can call gda_client_open_connection_from_string to open
> connections from a given string, without the need for the .libgda/config
> file.

Thanks (and please send me a copy of the previous mail you are referring
to if you can as I can't find it :O). I think I will do it this way.

> Also, you can just create that file yourself in your program, by using
> the gda_config_* API, so there is no need for the user to create
> dotfiles by hand at all.

Why should I when I have the option of connecting without creating any
dot files. The thing is, I don't want to touch the user's home directory unless
I can explain myself to the user why this is necessary. Right now I can't.

Thanks,

In this case I think I'll stick to libgda rather than going with a vendor
specific API, which would have been by far and large a less attractive solution.

Neil