Re: [gnome-db] Re: understanding data sources

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 09:44 -0600, Neil Zanella wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:33:43 +0200, Iago Rubio <iago rubio hispalinux es> wrote:
>
> > From my point of view, the data source being stored on disk or on memory
> > is irrelevant.
> >
> > You can even ask your user, "Do you want to save this data source ?" and
> > act according.
>
> If I asked the user, I'd have to let the user know why I was asking to do such
> thing. Is it so that the configuration can be retrieved on the next session.
> Wouldn't a windows program use the windows registry here? I'm clueless
> on this issue, and let me tell you, I read the docs, and they don't say
> a thing about _WHY_ one would want to write to disk.

well, saving to disk the configuration is for getting that configuration
the next time you start your computer. You don't really need the user to
know what configuration settings you've saved. And using
the .libgda/config file is just that, a configuration file.

> > GtkWidget* confirm;
> > gint response;
> >
> > confirm =
> >        gtk_message_dialog_new
> >                (NULL,
> >                GTK_DIALOG_MODAL,
> >                GTK_MESSAGE_QUESTION,
> >                GTK_BUTTONS_YES_NO,
> >                "Should I ask you why I want to save this data source on disk? :O|");
> >
> > response = gtk_dialog_run( GTK_DIALOG(confirm));
>
> > I hope this helps, but better wait for an authoritative answer.
> >
> > Remember I'm just starting to play with libgda :)
>
> Me too, just found it very recently, but in any case, even though I don't
> have to write that file and probably never will, I am still not satisfied as
> to why ANYONE would want to write it.
>
> It's just that the documentation really emphasises this file, which really
> seems like a laughing matter to me given that other DB APIs don't require
> it, and that the docs don't explain why it is required.

it does explain it. That file is for keeping your data sources
configured every time you use libgda-based applications. It is the same
that ODBC does, for instance. So, what do you not understand of it?

It's a configuration file. If you don't want your data sources to
persist between computer reboots, just don't use it, use the
gda_client_open_connection_from_string function.

There's nothing more to understand, IMO
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>