Re: [gnome-db] gda and PostgreSQL schemas

On 7/29/05, Diego Zuccato <diego otello alma unibo it> wrote:
> Vivien Malerba wrote:
>
> Tks for the fast answer.
>
> >>It seems that Mergeant can't retrieve tables in PG's schemas.
> > You have to define the search_path you want to use in the connection's
> > DSN string, and if you don't then the 'public' schema is assumed (this
> > is why table b is visible).
>
> Didn' understand well what "search path" was for. Now I know. Tks.
> For Mergeant: if I put more than one schema in search_path, it becomes a
> mess (expecially if the same table name is reused). It could be really
> useful a "tree" view instead of a "list" view. And it seems it couldn't
> recognize "ltree" type used in some tables (correctly installed, since

Can you send me the dictionary it made with that data type? I've never
used that data type myself.

> PG doesn't complain), leading to a corrupted dict file.
> In my program I'm using many cross-schema queries. Should I expect troubles?

You may have some trouble if you have tables with the same name in
different schemas and if these schemas are part of the search_path...
I have on my todo list to handle correctly schemas...

> PS: is there something "standard" to handle tree structures
> (efficiently... can't load all 20K rows at start...) or should I create
> my own widget?

Which kind of tree structures do you have? Is it to be used with the
ltree data type?

Vivien