Re: [gnome-db] Auto-updated GdaMetaStore?

2008/12/22 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
The gda_connection_get_meta_store_data() documentation
http://library.gnome.org/devel/libgda/unstable/GdaConnection.html#gda-connection-get-meta-store-data
says "Note: it's up to the caller to make sure the information contained
within cnc's associated GdaMetaStore is up to date using
gda_connection_update_meta_store() (it can become outdated if the
database's schema is accessed from outside of Libgda).".

That suggests that the meta store is kept up-to-date automatically. But
it doesn't seem to happen when I do a "ALTER TABLE" query to add a field
to table. Is this a bug or is this the design?

In a general way, the meta store is not kept up to date because AFAIK no database supports it (no callback API exists to signal schema changes).

However, I plan to make it update itself when I can identify that schema statements have been run (such as ALTER...), but it's for post 4.0.

In the meanwhile I'll correct the doc to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Vivien