RE: GNOME FAQ FUBAR'd; need advice

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 barreiro@arrakis.es wrote:

> Hi Todd,

Hi, Manuel.

http://www.mindspring.com/~tlewis/gnome/faq/v1.0.1/FAQ.sgml

> Have you used the docbook format ?

Unfortunately, not yet.  If I do convert the FAQ to a directory-based
format, then I hope to change it to DocBook as I do that conversion.

> I'm lived similar problems with the JDK Faq. This kind of structural
> change discourage translator efforts.

Yes, and I really do appreciate and wish to encourage the translations
in any way which I can.

> You may use the cvs mail facilities to notify changes to the
> translators.

I plan on having a web-based utility, since I have access to a web site
but not a CVS server.  I hope for it all to be cgi-based; it's just
easier for me that way.  All of this should be transparent to the
translator, who would do:

	% faqctl list_changes

and get a list of outstanding changes which need translation.

> >       D) I would like _not_ to do a release of the FAQ until my
> >       version and _all_ of the translations are in sync, so that
> >       non-English-speakers are not given worse information than English
> >       speakers.  Of course, this is dependent on the availability
> >       of translators.
>
> I agree with this dream !

Good!

> I think it's a good approach, with this system it's easy for translator
> make the work step by step, and work together with other volunteer.

Yes, this is the idea.

> I can't help you to test the system, if you want. I'm system admin and
> perl programer.

Same as me!  Great, I'm glad that you agree.

Anyone else have thoughts on this topic?

--
Todd Graham Lewis      MindSpring Enterprises    tlewis@mindspring.net
 The Windows 2000 name was obviously created over a glass of root beer