Re: gcalc docs (unfinished)

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > And  if you
> > do use <itemizedlist>, I think using &mdash; is quite
> > appropriate. Definitely it is better than just using - .
>
> I think a colon would be nicer, but now we're getting really quibbly :)

If you want to be 100% DocBook compliant you would *never* use an
&mdash; in an <itemizedlist> to separate a term from a definition -
you would use <variablelist> as the reference page for <variablelist>
states: "A list in which each entry is composed of a set of one or
more terms and an associated description"

Having said that - I have done it in the past and I have even used
many <formalpara>s to create a different style altogether.

Telsa is correct - Docbook is suppose to be written *without* format
in mind - formatting is another step altogether. It does creep in
though, and we have probably all done it at one point or another - but
it is a good idea to try and suppress the desire as much as possible.

As to the stylesheets - someone might want to point out to me what the
exact problem is with how the lists are appearing - I'm not sure I
understood what the problem was and I may be able to fix it. BTW, the
API docs use a *very* different stylesheet so don't worry about that.

Cheers,

Dave

--

          David Mason