Re: old way? (was Re: gnome-db2html2 and i18n)

John Fleck <jfleck@inkstain.net> writes:

> Dave - When you say 'new tools' that we should not be jumping into, are you
> including gnome-db2html2? By 'old fashioned way' are you suggesting
> we ship html, and simply render it with the newly available display
> engine(s)?

Well I am saying we need to think about all the issues
involved. Personally I think for 1.4 we should stick to the old clunky
tools and ship HTML (with better metadata tools, if we can). But that
is only my opinion. It is not perfect, but we are asking for the new
tools to do a *whole lot* in a very short period of time.

> Advantages:
> We can stick with the mature, if clunky, tools we now use to render
> html, allowing us to focus our energy on some of the other advanced
> features we'd like the Nautilus help system to have: quality indexing,
> an omf-based organizational scheme.
>
> Disadvantages:
> We're stuck with the mature, if clunky, tools we now use to render
> html, leaving us with all the problems gnome-db2html was meant to
> avoid.
>
> Is this the core of the argument?

It is indeed.

Cheers,