Re: info2html and Texinfo (Re: Linux Documentation Infrastructure)

Sandy Harris <sandy@storm.ca> writes:

Yes, I know it wasn't you in the first place who does the X-posting.

|   The question on the table, I think, is how to deliver all docs for
|   Linux or other open source OS's in a single integrated format.

IMO, the decision at this moment is quite easy.  Make sure that's
possible to convert all docs into good XML files.

|   I'd prefer XML as well, but I'm not certain we can afford to wait.

I'm convinced it's worth to do so.  In the mean time we should try to
study the 4 "standard" (drafts/recommendations) at W3C I named.  XHTML
is a fun to read (I've done so around Xmas).  Norman Walsh already
started to work on docbook-to-xhtml style sheets :-)

The 5th document to think about is this one (I didn't read it until
now):

>>> What are Topic Maps?

'Topic Maps' is a new international standard (ISO/IEC 13250) for
layering multidimensional topic spaces on top of information
assets. The standard covers concepts like topics, associations,
occurrences and facets/metadata. Topic Maps are expected to have a
major impact on future information systems.

[...]

<P><A HREF="http://www.infotek.no/~grove/software/tmproc/index.html">tmproc
0.20</A> - an implementation of Topic Maps, a new international
standard (ISO/IEC 13250:1999) for layering multidimensional topic spaces on
top of information assets. (14-Jul-1999)

[Quote from Geir Ove Grønmo, ANN: tmproc 0.20, a Topic Maps
implementation [note by me: this ANN is python related].]

|   I agree, though I can see e.g. including standard CVS docs in a
|   Linux distribution and having a Linux HowTo that covers any
|   Linux-specific stuff required to get it installed or to administer
|   it.

Yes.

|   I'd go further and say that any tools developed for a single
|   delivery format project should target at least *BSD as well as
|   Linux.

I don't mind this idea.

--
work: ke@suse.de                          |