Re: indexing

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 11:38:40PM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
>
> > Index (in document) - This is what you always see in the back of books. It
> > lists a lot of words and concepts in the book and lists the relevant page
> > numbers.  In DocBook, you do the indexing by hand using <index>,
> > <indexterm>, ...  This produces an index at the end of your document, as
> > you would find in a book.  The main work here is having somebody who knows
> > how to index (which is an art unto itself) go through and put in the
> > indexing tags.
>
> Does this mean that once we manually mark up our documents with
> <indexterm> etc tags, the help browser automatically gins up an index
> in the back of our "book" based on our index tagging? This does not
> seem to occur with the current tools we're using. Will it with the
> new help system?

Good question :) I don't think it currently does. And currently I'm just
thinking of building the index for searching purposes. But I think once
(if?) thats done it would trivial to extend it to 'gnome-db2html2'
(something like help:app?index)

> > Glossary (in document) - This is essentially a dictionary covering words
> > in the document.  In DocBook, it is done using <glossary>, <glossterm>,
> > etc.  I believe this typically produces a glossary section at the end of
> > the document next to the index, similar to many books.  I think we will
> > have a single big super-glossary which all applications can share.
>
> Again, will the full-sized glossary be assembled from glossary markup
> in individual documents? Or is manual assembly required?
>
> (Some of this might be clearer if I could get nautilus compiled. Guess that's
> why I'm a writer and not a hacker... :)

Dunno - I'm not really interested in a glossary at the moment :&