Re: Contents list

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 battery841@mypad.com wrote:

[SNIP]

> 	Does anyone think we should get a little HTML file up somewhere
> and keep adding to that for the tree?

I think initially we may just want to discuss it and post changes to this
mailing list - that will make it easy for everybody to have equal access
to it and to propose various layouts if they want to.  As it matures, we
may want to either put it on the web or in CVS.

> 	Also, maybe we should follow a similar structure as the main
> menu does for the tree(eg: programs/applications/abiword or
> applets/network/gnomeicu)

The advantage to this is that GNOME users who know what they are looking
for (ie. they know where it is in the Main Menu) can find the
documentation easily.  If the user is not sure which application they are
looking for(ie. I want to know which ppp tools/documentation are on my
computer), there may be more efficient ways to organize the files.  Also,
the Contents will hold many things which are not in the Main Menu, so we
have to make sure that these categories are adaquate.  So, if we can use
the same categories as the MM then great - but I think we should focus on
organizing the documents in a tree which makes the most sense to the user,
even if it isn't the same as the MM.

Having said that, I think we can do both.  In my example tree, I put a
branch Desktops->GNOME.  So, given that we can have a document in multiple
places, it may make a lot of sense (and convenience to the user) to have
documents under Desktops->GNOME follow the layout of the Main Menu.

Dan