Re: gnome-terminal

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 02:29:46PM -0500, Michael Soulier offered:
> Hello.

Hey Michael :)

> You might want to include, in the gnome-terminal users's guide,
> instructions on how to save your settings permanently such that all
> subsequent terminal invocations will use those settings.

AFAIK, you don't need to save any settings. Just changing them, and applying
(or hitting ok) should be enough. But yes, maybe that should be documented too.

> Also, most people are used to customizing their X apps through an
> .Xdefaults file and using xrdb. Please include information on how to
> configure the application with a text editor, as all Unix applications
> should need nothing more. Also, manpages would be nice, as I may not
> want to use your terminal in your environment. Choice is important.

I've tried to do this myself and had problems. Turns out that there aren't
any GNOME apps that use Xrdb. I don't believe there are any plans to change
this in the future.

As for the man pages, this was brought up before, and there was a valid
reason for not doing (which of course I can't seem to recall now). Does any one
remember why? It might have something to do with the fact that most GNOME apps
are GUI-type apps, and as a result really need GUI-based docs as opposed to
man's.

Hope this helps,
TC