Re: [Scrollkeeper-devel] BOF about Scrollkeeper at GUADEC?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Laszlo Kovacs wrote:

> > > Just to make even more work out of this, another idea is to write up a
> > > short paper which follows the same themes as the talk/BOF for the benefit
> > > of those who don't attend.
> >
> > Definitely.
>
> If I dont misunderstand this then it should be done after the talk,
> shouldnt it?

There are arguments for doing it either way...

The advantage to doing it beforehand is that it helps you prepare the talk
and it gives you something to hand out to people which they can read and
take home with them, even if they can't attend the BOF.  Another potential
advantage is that if you circulate the paper early, such as with the other
material people get when they register, then people get a chance to look
over it before the BOF.  This will help people decide whether to attend
the BOF and will make the BOF more productive.

The advantage to doing it afterwards is that you can incorporate any
suggestions you get during GUADEC.

Ideally we would get a lot of people to write and submit papers beforehand
so that attendees could pull them out and read them during boring talks
(we won't have any of these I'm sure;) and on the long plane or train ride
home.  We had discussed this idea, but I don't know if anybody followed
through on making a call for papers and arranging to have them
printed.  With almost 200 attendees (not counting the roughly 300
additional attendees on user day), the paper does start piling up.

Dan