Re: Hello

--- Begin Message ---
On 21 May 2001 20:01:02 -0600, John Fleck wrote:

> Welcome! It's great that y'all are so far ahead of the curve on
> documentation for gnome-db. I'd be happy to add you to the
> DocTable. What category do you think gnome-db should be included in?

Hi, basically, gnome-db is a part of the GNOME-office effort, so I would guess it fit's with the rest of that.
currently, the project has five documentation pieces

the LIB-GDA Manual, a guide to the lib-gda backend that powers GNOME-DB
(but is not GNOME dependent).
the LIB-GDA API reference, written in the sytle of the GTK+ API guide.
the GNOME-DB manual, an overview of the architecture behind gnome-db and
an introduction to running it
the GNOME-DB API reference.
these four docs are available from CVS and off the website
(http://www.gnome-db.org)
the GNOME-DB Users Guide is currently being drafted, and is a standard
users guide describing the gnome-db GUI and will be written to include
scrollkeeper support and will be in the standard gnome-help style

although still in discussion, A further user-guide will probably be
written, detailing the gnome-db support in the Glade GUI builder

> > just as a matter of interest, what kind of plans, if any are in place
> > for accessability with regards to the GDP?
> >

> This is a terrific question. There is a working on accessability:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/
> I don't recall any documentation-specific issues coming up. What kind
> of things should we be thinking of?

I have been lurking on this list a while, and I am aware of the move to
XML/XSLT that has been discussed.As one example I can think of, what
about providing an XSLT stylesheet from docbookXML to say , VoiceXML,
for speech synthesis for the the visually impared, as one example, I
know CSS2 also supports non visual stylesheets, I am not currently aware
of a free (speech) voiceXML engine, but the emacspeak package works with
a free(beer) IBM engine that supports it, and although this is
impractical for the gnome project, I'm sure it's only a matter of time
before a GPL'd voiceXML'ed engine becomes available, so it might make
sense to plan ahead in this regard,
also, are the stylesheets we currently use accessability-friendly,
i.e, do they place resonable alt tags for all graphic elements,
I'm not an expert, but I have done some work for a local blind society,
so I am aware of some of the issues that are faced.
thoughts?

regards
Sean Allen

--- End Message ---