RE: Legal text for review.

All,

I've corrected the error spotted by Sasha in the proposed title page, see snip.
As for the uppercase question, well, a bit of brief research showed me that the
use of uppercase for emphasis is widespread in legal documents. Uppercase is
used to emphasis single words, sentences, and entire paragraphs. Apparently, the
practise is a remnant of the Roman Empire. Roman Latin did not have any
lowercase letters, the latter being a medieval invention. Key Latin terms,
phrases and passages continued in use in the legal profession however, and when
the terms eventually made it into English or whatever, they retained uppercase
status. As these terms and phrases were usually key concepts, the uppercasing
became associated with emphasizing key legal points, so that terms that did not
come from the original uppercase Latin, were also uppercased to indicate their
key value.

Also, I wouldn't dare venture into the legal meaning of italics, see snip, that
emphasis probably has a whole different legal connotation, deriving from the
Egyptians or some such.

Mind you, the Romans didn't have online Help, so do we really need to adhere to
the practise? Personally, I also think it is unnecessary, but I am not qualified
enough legally to argue the point with the legal eagles. All I can say is that
uppercase for the disclaimer terms is the recommendation of the Sun legal team.
Ultimately, the GNOME Foundation has to approve the content of the disclaimer
texts, so perhaps we should just ask them to adjudicate on the uppercase v
lowercase issue.

Latest corrected title page is attached.

Pat

<snip id ="Alexander Kirillov">
Everything seesm fine except for one thing: it says "with the Invariant
Sections being Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty", but
there are no sections titled "Limitation of Liability" or "Disclaimer of
warranty" (I understand that these probably refer to sections 1 and 2
printed in CAPS, but they are not titled). Other than that, it looks fine.
</snip>

<snip id="Philip Shelton>

> Yes.  Any one able to enlighten me on how the legal profession do this in
> the paper copies of things other than software?
</snip>

Character Picker Applet Manual V0.2 Title Page

Author

Sun Microsystems

Publisher

GNOME Documentation Project

Copyrights

Copyright 2001: Sun Microsystems
Copyright 2000: Dan Mueth

Legal Notice

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link <link to GFDL>.

Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.

DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:

  1. DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND

  2. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT,INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

History

Title

Year

Author

Publisher

Character Picker Manual V0.2

2001

Sun Microsystems (gnome_docs sun com)

GNOME Documentation Project

Character Picker Manual

2000

Dan Mueth (d-mueth uchicago edu)

GNOME Documentation Project

Developers

Product Version

Developer

1.0

Alexander Muñiz (munizao xprt net)

Product Licensing

This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public license. A copy of this license can be found at this <link>, or in the file COPYING included with the source code of this program.

Feedback

To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding this application or this documentation, please follow the directions in this document <link>.

<<< Previous Home Next >>>