Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Hi guys,

I was working on the API for gnome-libs 2.0, and felt like it would be
good to define it in the context of some larger system.  In an attempt
to do so, I wrote up a small proposal; it's not fully complete, and
there are some details up in the air still.  Still, what do people
think?  Should this be something we can use?  I think it'll make life a
lot easier for those trying to implement a help-browser/doc-viewer.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

--

OVERVIEW:
=========

 * Have installation of xml as the main supported format, with
   scrollkeeper supplying metadata
 * Allow installation in places other than where GNOME is installed
 * Allow applications to install HTML as a fall back
 * Allow applications to show system help as well as
   application-specific help
 * Define ghelp URI scheme
 * Have generic method of launching the help system
 * Define a simple API -- 3 functions.
 * Assume that the help-browser links with the same gnome-libs that the
   app links with -- or at least the same prefix.

User documentation has been a somewhat messy, non-standard process in
the past.  This document aims to specify exactly how help should work,
rather than rely on the common usage.  It will describe what is
necessary for an application to install and show user documentation,
what a help-browser author needs to consider during implementation, and
where core gnome documentation should go.  It is not really a tutorial
-- one of those needs to be written at some point.

NOT COVERED:
============
 * man/info/other legacy formats
 * API or developer documentation
 * Popup help/"What's this?"/tooltips, etc.
 * Correct use of xml beyond specifying which DTD to use
 * Tools involved with modifying above xml.

PART 1:  GHELP URI SCHEME
=========================

The ghelp URI scheme is a fairly simple scheme.  This scheme provides a
way of mapping to a help file with an optional offset.  Here are a few
examples:

1:  ghelp:nautilus
2:  ghelp:AisleRiot2/Klondike
3:  ghelp:///opt/gnome/share/AisleRiot2/help/it/Klondike.xml?winning
4:  ghelp:/usr/share/oldapp/help/index.html

There are three basic ghelp styles.  The absolute path, the relative
path, and the index path.  In the examples above, the last two are
absolute, the second one is a relative path, and the first one is an
index path.  Please note that, as this is a URI scheme, all the rules of
escaping/valid characters for URI's apply.  A quick definition of the
URI scheme follows:

  1) The absolute ghelp URI:

  The basic form of the absolute ghelp URI scheme follows the "generic URI
  semantics" as defined in RFC 2396. That is:

  where <scheme> is 'ghelp'.  It is expected that only local files are
  supported for GNOME 2.0, though it is conceivable that we could host
  documentation off of gnome.org at some point in the future.  As
  expected, the common variant with the //<authority> missing is
  allowed (ie: Example 4)

  1.1) The <query>

  The query in the file is the location in the file to display.  For
  example, with xml, it would apply to the "id" of the section to
  display.  In HTML, it would go to an anchor name.  One confusing side
  effect of this with xml is that the id of a section can be defined in
  a different file due to entities.  Thus, in the example 3 above, the
  actual file being read may be different if the winning section is
  defined outside of Klondike.xml

  2) The relative ghelp URI scheme:

  The basic form of the relative URI scheme is:

  In general, this form can be turned into an absolute scheme with a
  little work on the help browser's part.  The primary use of a relative
  URI is for cleanliness of URI so that the user could enter it by hand.
  It also gives you a language independent way of referring to a
  document.

  2.1) The <appid>

    The appid is the id of the application and the location of the help
    files.

  2.2) The <file>

    The file listed here is a little different from the absolute URI
    scheme as the extention is optional.  The help browser is expected
    to try appending ".xml", ".sgml", and ".html", when looking for the
    file before falling back to <file> without the extention.

  2.3) The <query>

    Identical to the <query> in 1.1

  2.4) Converting a relative ghelp URI to an absolute URI:

    To convert URI schemes, the help browser must convert the
    is to do
    <path> = <GNOME_DATADIR>/<appid>/<LOCALE>/<file>[<extention>]

    where <GNOME_DATADIR> is the datadir prefix where the
    help-browser/GNOME is installed and <LOCALE> is the current locale.

    extention = ( ".xml" | ".sgml" | ".html" | "")

    An interesting thing about doing the conversion is that it requires
    the application doing the conversion to check to see if the file
    exists.

  3) The index ghelp URI scheme:

  The basic form of the index URI scheme is:

                             ghelp:<appid>

  This is purely a convenient URI scheme for users interested in looking
  up help for an application.  The actual information supplied is up to
  the help browser, but it is expected that they will look up
  information on the file using scrollkeeper (or possibly another
  mechanism) and display it.  It is optional for a help browser to
  implement.

PART 2:  APPLICATION HELP
=========================

All user documentation should be written in docbook-xml version 4.1 and
should follow the styleguide put out by the documentation project [1].
Documentation can and should be translated to multiple languages when
possible.  The DTD to use is:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML 4.1.2//EN"
                         "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>

All applications using gnome-libs should initialize using
gnome_program_init.  Additionally, they will need to pass in the
GNOME_PARAM_APP_DATADIR argument, so that the help system knows where to
look for help.  Those programs using the
GNOME_PROGRAM_STANDARD_PROPERTIES macro will do so automatically.
Documentation should then be installed into the
${DATADIR}/${APPNAME}/help/${LOCALE}/ directory.

For example, consider the help documents for the Italian version of a
copy of AisleRiot2 installed in /opt/gnome.  These documents would be
found in the  /opt/gnome/share/AisleRiot2/help/it/ directory.

In addition to installing the actual documentation, the developer should
also install meta information about the document using scrollkeeper.[2]
This is just a small bit of metadata so that the help-browser can find
information about the documentation.

There are 3 proposed API calls for libgnome:

gboolean gnome_help_display         (GnomeProgram  *program,
                                     char          *doc_name,
                                     char          *link_id,
                                     GError       **error);
gboolean gnome_help_display_desktop (GnomeProgram  *program,
                                     char          *doc_name,
                                     char          *link_id,
                                     GError       **error);
gboolean gnome_help_display_uri     (char          *help_uri,
                                     GError       **error);

The first two calls basically construct the appropriate URI, and then
call gnome_help_display_uri [3].  The difference between the first two
calls is that the first is used to display the help for the user
documentation, while the second is intended to show installed help that
comes with GNOME (such as the glossary).  One assumption made here is
that this desktop documentation is installed with the same prefix as the
gnome libraries and help-browser.

One thing about gnome_help_display is that it will try to create a
relative ghelp URI if possible and fall back to an absolute one if
necessary.  It will never try to create an index ghelp URI.

PART 3: LAUNCHING THE HELP BROWSER:
===================================

We use gnome-url to launch the help-browser, allowing us to customize
the application used to display help.  The actual mechanism for doing
this needs to be determined[4].  As there is no clear help-browser for
GNOME 2.0 at this point, we can select a help-browser later on (or
change it if need be).  Fortunately there are currently at least four
possible candidates for a help browser that I know of (devhelp,
encompass, galeon, and nautilus).

PART 4: IMPLEMENTING THE HELP BROWSER:
======================================

The help browser must implement the following things:

 * support showing both relative and absolute ghelp URI's

 * be able to display docbook xml and HTML

Additionally, the following would be nice:

 * scrollkeeper support to generate an index of topics, and support
   of index ghelp URIs.

 * indexing of keywords/search of documents

TODO:
=====

 * I'm not sure at all about the name 'ghelp' for the URI scheme.
   Perhaps 'gnome-help' would be better.  Then again, the gnu project
   seems to have taken over the world-wide 'g' namespace.

 * We use '?' to go to a section id in the URI scheme.  Would '#' be
   better?

 * Write API documentation for the 3 functions.

FOOTNOTES:
==========

[1] More information on actually writing the documentation can be found
at http://developer.gnome.org/projects/doc/  FIXME: need better link

[2] More information on scrollkeeper can be found at
http://scrollkeeper.sourceforge.net/.  It would be really nice to have a
tutorial there, or somewhere.

[3] This actually calls gnome_uri_show_full.  That's okay -- this is
just a convenience function at this point.  If we decide not to use
gnome-url, we can change it in the future.

[4] There is one in gnome-url.  I don't understand it b/c I'm tired
now.  I need to get Martin to explain it to me sometime. (-: