Re: DTD and stylesheets in Yelp

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 10:31, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> Hi guys:
> from latest release announcements for Yelp it seems that Yelp now
> includes DocBook DTD and Norm's modular stylesheets in the package. Is
> that correct? Does this mean that docbook DTD and stylesheets are no

Yep, that's correct.  Well, at very least the stylesheets are included.

> longer dependencies?

Yes, yelp should work without the system provided stylesheets.

> I am somewhat confused because I remember it being discussed on this
> list some time ago, and at that time many people (e.g., DV) raised
> serious objections to shipping our own copies of DTD and stylesheets, so
> the consensus was that we should make it a dependency rather than ship
> our own copy. Or did I miss something?

No, I don't think you missed anything.  However, the chances of
distributions having a working XML catalog, the DocBook DTD, and the
DocBook XSL stylesheets when GNOME 2 is released is non-existent.  Since
we can't rely on distributions to get off their ass in time, and we NEED
to ship GNOME with a working help system, we have to ship the DTD and
stylesheets.  It sucks, but I don't see that we have any other option.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.