Re: help and caching

I have not had time to think this through completely at the moment
(although on the surface it seems like a good step), but there's one
part of Eric's reply that needs commenting on..

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 07:41:34PM -0500, Eric Baudais wrote:
> My objection to this is we should not be using Yelp, a help browser, to
> pre-generate the documents.  I think this should be in libgnome or some
> other place which is already dependent on libxml2.  Yelp should just
> contain the browser and stylesheet portions of the help system.  Yelp
> should not contain tools and utilities to process the GNOME docs.  Maybe
> this utility could be integrated with a docs build package.

Since Sander's proposal is about caching the generated html (i.e. the
presentation component), it would have to be done by Yelp currently,
since that is the source of the stylesheets. If you want to move it a
lower layer, you will need to also move the styleseheets to that layer.

I think we are going to have to settle for a practical solution over an
ideal one for 2.0.x, so while the above comment is try in a perfect
world, it is not the solution right now. Currently we only really have
one help browser anyway, although the infrastructure supports selection
from amongst multiple help browsers.

Malcolm