speedup (was Re: A reaction and a question)

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 05:32:02AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>    Okay not about the question, on a different topic. I just commited
> a patch to gnome-xml head which may improve the speed of processing DocBook
> quite a bit. I would be interested if you could cvs update, recompile libxml2
> and relink the applications (after saving the old version) using libxslt
> and try to benchmark the HTML formating on real examples. I.e. look at the
> time needed with the previous binary to do the same processing, It may have
> a serious impact ... or not, and I would like to know.

Daniel -

In some quick tests I saw substantial speedup in applying the
stylesheet. Is that where you would expect to see it?

OLD

[jfleck jelloiii C]$ xsltproc --noout --timing /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48/html/docbook.xsl panel.xml
Parsing stylesheet /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48/html/docbook.xsl took 2 ms
Parsing document panel.xml took 109 ms
Applying stylesheet took 5349 ms

NEW

[jfleck jelloiii C]$ xsltproc --noout --timing /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48/html/docbook.xsl panel.xml
Parsing stylesheet /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.48/html/docbook.xsl took 12 ms
Parsing document panel.xml took 164 ms
Applying stylesheet took 1810 ms

Cheers,

John